Schools play an important role in supporting the health and wellbeing of young people, and in December of 2011 Key Stage 4 was accredited with having achieved it’s first year’s goals as a Healthy School.
Key Stage 4 has an elected school council,with representatives from each teaching group that plays an active role in setting, and working towards, our Healthy Schools targets.
[update]Our School Council have identified the following targets:
- To help young people who would like to stop smoking
- To encourage young people to eat a healthier diet
- To create an emotionally supportive school[/update]
Some of the practical ways in which we are working towards our targets are:
- Having readily available drinking water in each of our classrooms
- Replacing our tuck shop with a fruit selection
- Having access to a Barnardo’s schools-based counsellor
- Establishing a School Council so that pupils can get their voice heard
- Embedding emotional literacy into our curriculum
- Staff training on SEAL and ELSA courses